blog image
1 month ago | News

In About: 1 month ago

Views: 19058

Section: News

Boko Haram: 91 girls, 1 boy released by Boko Haram in Dapchi – Lai Mohammed

76 Dapchi Girls confirmed freed - Lai Mohammed

He said the government is still documenting the figures of the released hostages.

The Federal Government has confirmed that Boko Haram returned 91 out of the 110 schoolgirls kidnapped by the terrorists one month ago.

While addressing State House correspondents at the Presidential Villa on Wednesday, March 21, 2018, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said that 91 schoolgirls have been documented by the government.

He also mentioned that one boy was part of those documented even though only 110 girls were reported to be missing.

He said, "As of now, I can confirm that 91 girls and 1 boy have been released. I  could say it's a development. Many of the children that were released were not dropped in one place – they were dropped on the road. They went back, naturally, to their parents houses and are now being asked to come and be documented at the centre."

The minister had earlier disclosed that 76 of the 100 girls were confirmed to be back in Dapchi after they were released by Boko Haram militants.

He revealed that the girls were released around 3 am through back-channel efforts and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional.

He said, "For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.

''Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost."

Dapchi abduction

Boko Haram militants invaded Government Girls Science and Technical Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari local government area of Yobe on Monday, February 19, 2018, and abducted 110 schoolgirls.

According to accounts by residents, the terrorists invaded the town around 7 pm in over 18 gun trucks mounted with high caliber weapons.

The abduction was a repeat of another Boko Haram attack that happened when militants invaded Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok and kidnapped 276 female students in April 2014.

After several escapes and releases, 112 of the girls remain in captivity of the deadly terrorist group.

Curated: Meets Media.ng

Local AFP Photo

Local AFP is a Reporter at Meets Media, a digital journalist who reports on News and some other section of our website.

Add Comments